It is important to know the recommended measurement if you are designing a new kitchen. If the distances are too small or too large, it will make the daily work much more difficult. In this article you can find 10 important advices on how to design the perfect kitchen.
1. For efficiency, the work triangle (the space between the sink, refrigerator, and stove) should measure 26′ or less with no single side longer than 9′, or less than 4′.
2. If your kitchen is larger than 150 sq. ft choose at least 16 1/2′ of countertop, 15 1/2′ of wall cabinets, and 16′ of base cabinets. For smaller kitchens buy 11′ of countertop, 12′ of wall cabinets, and 13′ of base cabinets.
3. The work aisles should not be less than 42″ wide for a one man kitchen and 48″ for kitchens with more than one cook.
4. Plan you sink so you have at least 24″ of counter space on one side and 18″ on the other.
5. To create the most accessible landing for unloading groceries, allow at least 15″ of counter space on the handle side of a standard refrigerator; on both sides if it's a side-by-side model. Or include a landing area directly across from the refrigerator, but no more than 48″ away.
6. To make it easy to clean up, the dishwasher should not be more than 36″ of the edge of the sink. Leave minimum 21″ of standing room next to it.
7. For microwaves and ovens, provide at least 15″ of counter space nearby, at least 16″ deep.
8. For optimum clearance, no entry, appliance, or cabinet doors should interfere with another.
9. For comfort and to help avoid repetitive-motion injury, plan for work counters of different heights; between 28 and 36″ off the floor (easier for chopping and seated-use access), and between 36 and 46″ for general tasks (higher counters accommodate taller cooks).
10. The clearance between the cook top and a cabinet unit must be minimum 24″ if the surface is fireproof and 30″ if it isn't.
Kitchen design is equally divided between science and art. You can have a lot of good ideas, but if you do not know the recommended measurements, the result will never be satisfying. It is expensive to build a new kitchen, so you should make sure that you get the best result.
More from @MartinElmer2