It's important that you don't mess this thing up, especially since proposing to your girlfriend is something you'll only do the one time, if you're lucky!
The following tips will show you how to propose to your girlfriend, and survive:
1. Make it personal! The two of you should have many shared experiences, so you know exactly what she likes! There's no excuse for copying somebody else's idea!
2. You shouldn't be surprised by her answer! If you're not completely or at least 99% sure that she'll say yes, then you've probably not been going out long enough!
3. Try and surprise her! This is a huge moment for you both so don't turn it into an anti climax for her!
4. Only make it a public proposal if you're extra certain she'll say yes! You don't want it to turn into a humiliating experience do you!
5. Guard the ring like it's your precious! Don't bury it in sand or give it to a Waiter to serve with desert. You'd only deserve to lose it!
6. Make sure you go down on one knee! It's old and corny but she always imagined her proposal would be like that ever since she was a little girl, so don't let her down!
7. Practice your words! Do it in front of the Dog and Cat! You'll feel silly for sure, but the alternative is that she'll tell all her friends how you stuttered through the most important few words in both your lives!
8. Create a romantic setting! It's much better than big and lavish! It's all about candles, music, good food and flowers!
9. If you want a long engagement, then propose in the spring time! This will give you a whole year to plan, or change your mind! For a quick wedding, propose in the winter!
10. Enjoy the moment! You'll be fine as long as you've practiced and planned for every possible outcome! Good luck!